Sunday, October 28, 2007

Rejoice Every Day!

Chrysanthemum, the name I have given to my good friend, has a very hectic life. And she tries to multi task most of the time. Actually she is very successful in doing her tasks. And she often walks the second mile in order to complete her task or help out a friend.

In a way, some less kind and pushy lecturers even say that she is silly to allow others to step on her. But when I was working with her in the 14 years of my time in the college, I often found her to be helpful, thoughtful and caring. No one could have been a better Christian sister like her.

I remember one lecturer even asked me, "What would she gain in helping that student? Isn't she stupid to help this student?" Helping an underdo is not a question of gaining something. As Christians we understand the meaning of "laying treasures in heaven". I let the matter rest and smile knowingly and said," Helping people in need is a joy." I knew she rejoices in helping others.

What I noticed then was she sweated a great deal whenever she worked. But she would not give up doing a piece of work. She would never leave a job half way and go off to relax. You could always trust her to do a job well. When she was given a task, her immediate boss could always rest and sleep easy. When out in the open jungle for our extra curricular activities she would be unafraid of the strong sunlight. She would cook and handle all the activities without any complaints.


Chrsyanthemum is a person who is very observant and discerning. Her fears are often well founded because she has a good eye. Her wisdom is something that I always treasure. More often than not, I would be at the table to discuss matters. She has been a very good sounding board to me when I was still working and now when I am retired. She is clearly a friend who has a great conscience and I am very very comfortable with that.

And slowly I learn that she is person who is steadfast in her belief in God.

She derives her energy through prayers and meditation. And as a Christian convert (she became a Christian late in life) she follows definite principles in life.

One of them is repeating this line from the Psalms: "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad."

She commits to living in gratitude for the day and that is why when adversities happen to her, she is always happy and never down.

A lot of people around her still do not understand how she operates as a person. Yet they are quick to condemn her and each other else well.

I rejoice every day because of her presence in my life. And I thank the Lord for sending her to me.

1 comment:

Greenspot said...

Sarawakiana,

It is really rare to have friend like this. Hope every goes well and just pray for the predicament.